Welcome from the Program Director
The Transitional Year is an integral part in preparing for a successful career in medicine. Mercy Health Grand Rapids/Michigan State University Transitional Year Residency Program has the institutional support and experience in graduate medical education to provide trainees with the broad-based training needed for a Transitional Year program. We are committed to preparing residents for specialties, such as anesthesia, ophthalmology, dermatology, neurology, physical medicine and rehabilitation, internal medicine, or careers in public health or the armed services.
Our program has an excellent relationship with other training programs in the hospital, allowing for smooth integration into educational teams. We realize that each resident will have different goals for their educational experience and want to help students get the most out of their time at Mercy Health. We intend to prepare residents for success in their future careers in medicine and look forward to hearing from you.
Richard Sadowski, MD
Transitional Year Program Director
Although we are currently seeking new accreditation for this program in 2017, MHGR has been training residents for over 60 years in a wide variety of settings. We are anticipating ACGME approval in mid-December 2017 to have residents start in July 2018.
A typical year in our Transitional Year program would consist of 13 rotations, each lasting 4 weeks, broke down below
- 3 blocks of inpatient medicine on a dedicated teaching service
- 1 block of ambulatory medicine – in an IM, FM, General Surgery, OB/Gyn, or Peds setting
- 4 blocks of electives without call responsibilities – examples are Anesthesiology, Dermatology, Endocrinology, Family Medicine, Forensic Pathology, Hospice and Palliative Medicine, Infectious Disease, Neurology, Ophthalmology, PM&R, Pain Medicine, Psychiatry, Radiology Oncology, Radiology, Rheumatology, Sports Medicine, Palliative Medicine, Infectious Disease
- 3 blocks of selectives – choices include Gen Surg, OB/Gyn, Emergency Medicine, IM, MICU
- 1 Selective Rotation with call – Cards, Ortho, IM, Pulm
- 1 block of Emergency Medicine